« Home | No Cure this weekend » | Wildcard Weekend BBQ » | Xmas for the foodee! » | Saturday by the smoker » | Game on #2 » | Game on. » | A new look! » | Smoked meat as a supplement » | Making Smoked Chicken Stock » | A weekend at home! » 

Thursday, January 19, 2006 

Finally!

Whew. I've been suffering lately. And it's been really bad. A lack of cash has caused me to buy this crappy "gourmet" lump charcoal from a local store. It burns too fast and in general isn't very good. But it's available locally and it did allow me to cook the chicken and ribs posted below.

But no more suffering for me! I just ordered 3 22# bags of Wicked Good Charcoal's competition blend! I'm hoping that Fedex is running on time (even with the god-awful ice, rain and snow we've had lately). If they are, it's usually an overnight journey for my charcoal to make it from Maine to Vermont.

I've got chicken and ribs planned for a buddy's NFL Conference Championship party and I'd REALLY hate to be forced to use that "gourmet" garbage. How, exactly, can charcoal be "gourmet"?

I've got two racks of ribs in the freezer, so I should be able to use this crowd as a test audience. I'm going to use two different rubs and sauces. Hopefully they'll be able to give me some good feedback.

At this point, my Triple Chile Rub is what I prefer on my ribs, but some may find it a bit to spicy (although there's not much heat in it at all). I'm probably going to try one rack with my Hog Eatin' rub as well. White Trash BBQ had the great suggetion of using applesauce or cranberry sauce as a slather on his ribs. I might try a variation of those ideas! It should be some good eats!

It's almost February, so it's time to start taste testing for summer!

I'll have a report for you on Monday, no doubt.

Chris

Good luck with the cook. Care to share the rub recipes? Have fun with the slathers. I like to experiment, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but it's allways fun.]

And thanks for the tip of the hat.

You bet! Always willing to give props to another fellow BBQer. I'm unwilling to part with the recipies for my rubs because I sell them, at least locally, and might someday expand beyond our local farmers market.

But, I will tell you that the key ingredient that I believe makes my triple chile rub unique beyond the average "red rub" is ancho chile. This chile is smoked, but not spicy. So, it gives a wonderful deep flavor without an overpowering heat. The other two chilies in the "triple" are paprika (big shock there! LOL) and a hint of chipotle.

The Hog Eatin' is really just your typical "red rub". Lots of paprika, balanced salt and sugar. Personally, I think it still needs work. I've always been shooting for it to be your standard rib rub, but there's an element of it that's missing and I've never been able to isolate it.

Experimentation is the only way to master this sport!

Best,

Chris

Post a Comment