« Home | Coming Soon to a Blog Near You » | What a barbecue obsessed man wants for Christmas » | Whereshebeen? » | By Popular Demand: How to smoke eggs » | Happy birthday to me » | Howling Hog Barbecue ends their season with a bang! » | Best. Ribs. Ever. » | Why I love my wife » | Howlin' for a good cause » | We completed our second competition in two weeks t... » 

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 

Cookin' For the Holidays - Day 1

My wife and I are trying to make a concerted effort to "buy local" this holiday. Most of the gifts we handed out were either purchased locally or made buy us. As my part in our campaign to keep things either personal or local, I did a whole lot of cooking over the 22nd and 23rd. I spent two days with the BWS chugging away. I cooked six pork shoulders, eight briskets and a couple of batches of smoked almonds. In addition, I whipped up batches of a bunch of my spice rubs and sauces.

Saturday was brisket day. The night before, I trimmed the briskets from whole packers to flats which I prefer to cook. I kept as much of the points as possible because they make such great burnt ends.


Early Saturday morning, I started the pit and then prepped the raw meat


Once all the meat was prepped, it went into the BWS and I went about my day. Here's a beautiful sight...

Fifteen hours later, here's what came out...


Using my Cabela's vacuum sealer I packaged up the meaty goodness for friends and family. Dig the cool labels my wife made!


Stay tuned for photos from Day 2

C