« Home | Thanks! » | Hogstock 2006 Results » | Hogstock » | Old Bull's Observations from the Harpoon » | The Harpoon Championships of New England Barbecue ... » | The countdown » | And so it begins » | Father's Day BBQ » | Say Hello to My Little Friend! » | BBQ by the light of the Firefly » 

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 

The season winds down

The New England barbecue season is winding its way down. The days of constant barbecueing and grilling are being replaced by hot dishes cooked in the stove. I love to cook fall foods. Chili, stews, soups and various "hot dishes" (pronounced hutdish if you're from the midwest) are something I'm extremely fond of.

But, that doesn't mean that cooking over fire is over for the year. In fact, I was looking at my neglected Backwoods Smoker thinking that I had better plan for a weekend of brisket and pork shoulder before I lose my mind. And now that I've got a well insulated smoker, I see myself cooking the big meats deep into the winter.

This weekend, a bunch of family and friends are heading to the Hog's family cottage for one final weekend on the coast of Maine. With my father and stepmother there for the fun, there'll be a total of nine of us - all of us hardcore foodees. The Old Bull and Mamer will be there, so team Howling Hog will be well represented. We spent a good part of today emailing eachother about what foods we're going to be cooking. We're all looking forward to it.

There's nothing in this world like food, family and friends. I'm grateful to have a herd of people around me who love to do what I do.

So, even though the barbecue season is coming to an end, I don't see it. I'll plan a few full day barbecue sessions over the next six months. To be sure, there'll be less than during the summer, but you can expect a brisket and a pork shoulder out of me every now and then. And, of course, there's always a way to bring food cooked over fire into your kitchen. I'll grill my stew meat before I throw it in the stew pot to give it that smoky flavor that just can't be beat. I'll smoke a chicken or turkey for whatever dishes we want to use it for.

And, of course, there's holidays and parties. We're already planning to host Thanskgiving. I see a big piece of beef and a turkey to give thanks for! Then there's the NFL playoff party with the MuleSkinner and the Superbowl party at my place. And the Boy's birthday in February.

It's good to know that even when the season ends - it doesn't really end. It just gets cozier in the house.

Peace,

C.